Friday 7 August 2009

to dance with abandonment... and live as though heaven is on earth.



Ok, today's entry may sound rather random, but yeah...feeling a bit random right now sitting in front of the ol' iMac looking for inspiration to write a Merdeka piece for The Star.

I found this really inspiring quote from Michael Jackson on the joy of dancing, how sacred dance was to him, and "the eternal dance of Creation". I can't tell you how it's so wonderful to completely lose yourself for a few minutes when you dance or sing or paint or just completely lose or abandon yourself completely. I experience it when I listen to classical Javanese Gending music, I find my thoughts completely leave me and I'm able to almost "detach" my body from my thoughts for a few minutes. When I put on my dancing Kain and Sampur, all I wanna do is to glide along with the music and dance for as long as the music plays, lost completely in the beautiful music. It's absolutely therapeutic, and I completely recommend it to anyone who has never experienced the liberation of self-abandonment. Sigh. Why am I feeling so...random...maybe I need to put on my dancing Kain again, been too long.

"Dancers come and go in the twinkling of an eye but the dance lives on. On
many an occasion, when I am dancing, I have felt touched by something sacred.
In those moments, I felt my spirit soar and become one with everything that
exists. I become the stars and the moon. I become the lover and the beloved. I
become the victor and the vanquished. I become the master and the slave. I
become the singer and the song. I become the knower and the known. I keep on
dancing and then, it is the eternal dance of creation. The creator and the
creation merge into one wholeness of joy. I keep on dancing until there is
only. . .the dance."

Michael Jackson